NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. VALID IN THE 50 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY. SUBMISSION IN THIS FESTIVAL CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The Northwest Heat Music Video Festival (the “Festival”) is designed to encourage eligible music video directors and musicians (“Entrant(s)” or “You”) in the United States Of America to submit music video projects that display their grasp of creativity and skill in both music and filmmaking, and the crossover between the two. Judges will score the winning Submissions, and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules (the“Rules”).
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Festival, you must agree to the Rules. Therefore, please read these Rules prior to Submission to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an Submission in the Festival constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an Submission to the Festival and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Northwest Heat with respect to the Festival.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Festival, an Entrant must: (a) be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. legal resident (i.e. must be able to show proof of address, for example, a "green card"); (b) have created their submitted music video after January 1st, 2014. Festival is void in Puerto Rico, U.S. territories and possessions, outside of the U.S., and where prohibited by law. Employees, interns, contractors, and official office-holders of Northwest Heat, and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotion agencies, representatives, and agents (“Festival Entities”), and members of the Festival Entities’ and their immediate families (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each, regardless of where they live) and members of the households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers and directors are ineligible to participate in this Festival.
3. FESTIVAL PERIOD: The Festival begins on March 1st, 2016 12pm Pacific Time (PT) Zone in the United States and ends on May 31st, 2016, 11:59pm Pacific Time (PT) Zone (“Festival Period”). All dates are subject to change.
4. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Festival, visit the Festival website located at http://www.NorthwestHeatFestival.com/ (“Festival Site”) during the Festival Period and follow the instructions that appear on the “Submit” tab. You will be redirected to FilmFreeway (“Submission Form”) to complete the submission process.
To submit an Submission digitally on the Festival Site, please follow the instructions in the FilmFreeway submission process. Northwest Heat is not responsible for illegible or incorrectly submitted Submissions made via the Festival Site. Submissions will not be accepted in hard-copy form.
NO LIMIT ON SUBMISSIONS PER ENTRANT. Duplicate Submissions will be disqualified. To be considered for the Festival, Submissions must be: (i) complete (as determined by Northwest Heat); and (ii) received by July 1st, 2015 11:59pm Pacific Time (PT). Machine or computer-generated mass Submissions will be disqualified. Any submission not meeting the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified. Northwest Heat accepts no responsibility for submissions lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid, howsoever caused. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of Submission. All Submissions will be deemed made by the Entrant submitted at the time of Submission.
5. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS. The Submission and supporting statements must meet the following criteria (“Submission Requirements”):
- They must not have a mission, marketing, values, and/or purpose that is/are derogatory to a person’s sex, race, religion, color, creed, disability, national origin, or sexual orientation and/or advocates violence (including but not limited to rape, self-mutilation, and/or suicide) or the use of illegal drugs or alcohol, as decided and delegated upon by the Sponsor and the Sponsor’s discretion. They will not be admitted to the Festival, nor judged, screened, awarded, or promoted in any way. Any Entrant found to be of questionable intent will be judged by the Sponsor for eligibility on a case-by-case basis.
- They must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libellous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, torturous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Festival.
- They must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulation including the laws or regulations in Washington where the Submission and supporting statement are created.
- They must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Festival, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- They must be original, unpublished works that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
- They cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
- The Submission is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
- The Entrant does not include any disparaging remarks relating to the Sponsor or a third party.
- They must be no longer than ten (10) minutes, zero (0) seconds, and zero (0) frames in length.
During the Festival Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating the Submissions and supporting statements to ensure that they meet the Submission Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who submits a Submission and supporting statements that does not meet the Submission Requirements. Incomplete Submissions or Submissions not complying with these Rules are subject to disqualification.
6. JUDGING: Each Submission will be evaluated and scored based on the following “Criteria”: (i) direction – stylistic guidance; (ii) pacing and timing – kinetic correlation between editing, audio, and video; (iii) cinematography – artistic quality of visuals; (iv) thematic cohesion – appropriate correlation pertaining to the creative intent between the video and the audio; (v) art direction – artistic relevance of style, production design, and direction with regard to audio; (vi) spectacle – visual content; and (vii) adherence to the Submission Requirements and these Rules.
Tie-breaker: In the event of a tie in selection of a Winner during judging, the judges will re-evaluate the tied Submissions according to the Criteria until the tie is broken. The tied Submissions will be put up for a re-vote amongst the judges until the tie is broken.
Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible Submissions, not all prizes will be awarded. If a potential winner is unable for whatever reason to accept his or her prize, then Northwest Heat reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
Notification of Finalists and Winners: Becoming a finalist is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules. If a potential finalist or winner is disqualified for any reason, the Submission that received the next highest total score will be chosen as the potential finalist or winner. The potential finalist(s) and winner(s) will be selected and notified by telephone and/or email, at Sponsor’s discretion. If a potential finalist/winner does not respond to the notification attempt within three (3) days from the first notification attempt, then such potential finalist/winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential finalist/winner will be selected from among all eligible Submissions received based on the judging Criteria described herein. With respect to notification by telephone, such notification will be deemed given when the potential finalist/winner or potential finalist/winner’s parent or guardian engages in a live conversation with Sponsor or when a message is left on the potential finalist/winner’s voicemail service or answering machine by the Sponsor, whichever occurs first. Except where prohibited by law, each potential state finalist/winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, potential finalists/winners must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such potential finalist/winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential finalist/winner may be selected based on the judging Criteria described herein. In the event the potential finalist/winner is a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian must sign the documents and return them as described herein. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced. Determinations of Judges are final and binding.
7. PRIZES: TBA.
No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for prizes is allowed, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize, in whole or in part, of equal or greater monetary value if a prize cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, as described for any reason. Value is subject to market conditions, which can fluctuate and any difference between actual market value and actual retail value will not be awarded. The prize(s) may be subject to restrictions and/or licenses, service, or maintenance to use. The winner shall bear all responsibility for use of the prize(s) in compliance with any conditions imposed by the Sponsor or Festival Entities, and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Sponsor has not made and is not responsible in any manner for any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to the prize(s), regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize(s), including, without limitation, its quality, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose.
8. TAXES: AWARDS OF PRIZES TO POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO NORTHWEST HEAT ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY NORTHWEST HEAT TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL TAX REPORTING ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES NORTHWEST HEAT IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. In order to receive a prize, potential winners must submit tax documentation requested by Northwest Heat or otherwise required by applicable law, to Northwest Heat or a representative for Northwest Heat or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law. The potential winner and finalists, and if the winner/finalist is a minor, their parents or legal guardians, are responsible for ensuring that they comply with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Northwest Heat may, in its sole discretion, select an alternate potential winner.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Northwest Heat reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Festival if, in Northwest Heat’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Festival by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Northwest Heat, or the Judges.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Northwest Heat and the Entrant, the Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the Submission (excluding Northwest Heat’s rights in the Northwest Heat logo/trademark). As a condition of Submission, Entrant grants Northwest Heat a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the Submission and the actions depicted therein for any purpose, including display on the Northwest Heat website, without any attribution or compensation to Entrant. Submissions will not be returned. Northwest Heat retains all rights in the Northwest Heat products and services and Submission into this Festival will in no case serve to transfer any Northwest Heat intellectual property rights to the Entrant.
11. PRIVACY: Entrants agree and acknowledge that personal data submitted with a Submission, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by Northwest Heat and its affiliates for the purposes of conducting and administering the Festival. Individuals submitting personal information in connection with the Festival have the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by Northwest Heat in connection with the Festival by writing to Northwest Heat at the following address: Privacy Matters, c/o Northwest Heat, 3040 17th Ave W #529, Seattle, Washington 98119.
12. PUBLICITY. By entering the Festival, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Festival as reasonably requested by Northwest Heat at Northwest Heat’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Northwest Heat. Northwest Heat will contact Entrants in advance of any Northwest Heat-sponsored media request for interviews.
The Submissions may also be used for press and media purposes and Entrant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Entrant has or may have in the Submission. Northwest Heat reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the Entrants with the top 50 scores, the Finalists and the Winner on the Festival Site or through other media for publicity purposes.
13. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants warrant that their Submissions are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Submission and that they have the right to submit the Submission in the Festival and grant all required licenses. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Submission that: (a) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade names, industrial designs, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (b) otherwise violates applicable state, federal, or local law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from: (i) any Submission or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) any misrepresentation made by Entrant in connection with the Festival; (iii) any non-compliance by Entrant with these Rules; (iv) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Entrant’s involvement with the Festival; (v) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Festival-related activity or participation in the Festival; (vi) any malfunction or other problem with the Festival Site in relation to the Submission and participation in the Festival by Entrant; (vii) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of Submission or voting information in relation to the Submission and participation in the Festival by Entrant and in the voting process by consumers; or (viii) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the Submission and participation in the Festival by Entrant.
14. ELIMINATION. Any false information provided within the context of the Festival by Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Festival.
15. INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER. Northwest Heat is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Festival Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Submissions or votes due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Festival Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit Entrant’s/consumer’s ability to participate/vote respectively. Northwest Heat is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Festival. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Festival in any manner. If an Entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Festival.
16. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY. If for any reason the Festival is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Festival, Northwest Heat reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Festival. Northwest Heat further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Festival or Festival Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Festival Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Festival is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Northwest Heat reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
17. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Submission into the Festival, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Northwest Heat, or the Festival Entities. Entrants acknowledge that they submitted their Submission voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between Entrant and Northwest Heat or the Festival Entities and that no such relationship is established by Entrant’s submission of a Submission under these Rules.
18. FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Festival are hereby excluded, and Entrants expressly waive any and all such rights.
19. WINNER’S LIST: You may request a list of winners after July 17th, 2015 by sending a self addressed stamped envelope to:
2016 Winner’s List
Northwest Heat Music Video Festival
c/o Robert Bojorquez
3040 17th Ave W #529
Seattle, WA 98119 USA